Frequently Asked Questions

What do I bring to file my taxes?

If I elect to file an itemized return, what income information do I bring?

Is there a way I can check on the status of my Refund?

What information would I need to file a Schedule F?

What do I bring to file my taxes?

  • A picture ID – Valid Driver’s License or military identification card
  • Social Security Card
  • Social Security Cards for dependents
  • Birth Certificates and Tribal Census Cards

Other information you would need to have:

  • W-2’s/1099’s
  • Interest and/or Dividend Statements
  • Sale from Investment Property (i.e., sale of mutual funds, land, timber)
  • Alimony Received
  • Unemployment Compensation
  • Social Security Benefits
  • Retirement Benefits
  • Gambling Winnings (W-2G)
  • Grants, Scholarships, or Education Assistance
  • Reimbursements for moving, business trips, or TDY
Adjustments to Income
  • Contributions to an IRA, SEP, or other qualified plans
  • Alimony paid and Social Security Number and Name of Recipient
  • Penalties on early withdrawal of savings
  • Moving expenses
  • Medical Savings Account Contribution
  • Interest paid on Student Loan
Child Care Expenses
  • Amounts paid
  • Names of individuals/organizations providing child care
  • SSN of individuals or tax number of organizations providing child care
  • Individual or organization’s address
Education Expenses
  • Form 1098-T, Tuition Payments
  • Books
  • Required Equipment, i.e. computers
  • Other Required Expenses, i.e. registration fees
Return to top

If I elect to file an itemized return, what information do I bring?

In addition to the items required listed above, you would need to bring the following:

  • Home (Primary & *2nd home)
  • Land
  • Quarterly Estimates and Dates Paid
  • Investment Property (This could be a 3rd home)
Medical Expenses
  • Hospital, Doctor, & Dentist
  • Medical Insurance
  • Lodging
  • Mileage, Ambulance or other required transportation
  • Eyeglasses
  • Prescription Medicine
  • Special Equipment (i.e., wheelchairs, hearing aids)

Note: It is recommended to substantiate all of your medical expenses. Please have a breakdown of your medical expenses, i.e., prescriptions, dental, doctors, hospitals, insurance, etc. It is recommended you do not just report one gross sum for everything.

  • Mortgage Insurance
  • Mortgage Interest, primary & *2nd home
  • Investment Interest (i.e., interest paid on land, purchase of stock, third home)
  • 2nd Mortgage or Home Improvement Loans
  • Discount Points/Loan Origination Fees

* This could be a motor home or boat that qualifies as a second home.

Note: If you bought a home, refinanced, or took out a second mortgage, please bring in the closing settlement papers (commonly referred to as the HUD forms).

Charitable Contributions
  • Money and/or materials donated to nonprofit organizations
  • Mileage for volunteer work

Note: Please bring in any documentation to substantiate any donations made, particularly cash contributions and non-cash contributions. Please adhere to the new guidelines for claiming non-cash contributions to charitable organizations. (A bag of clothes valued at a given price will not be considered adequate documentation.)

For amounts less than $250 your record of contribution needs to be a bank record (canceled check, a bank or credit union statement, a credit card statement, or a written receipt such as a letter or other written communication) from the qualified organization showing the name of the organization, the date of the contribution and the amount of the contribution.

As the amount of the charitable contribution becomes larger, the substantiation rules become more demanding. If the contribution is $250 or more, different substantiation rules apply. What is a contribution of $250 or more? It is a single contribution in a single day of $250 or more. It is not a series of $25 contributions (or other amounts less than $250) that totals $250 or more. The acknowledgment must be Written.

Miscellaneous Expenses
  • Tax Return Fee
  • Uniforms required but not provided by employer
  • Union or Professional Dues
  • Tools or supplies required but not provided by employer
  • Professional Publications
  • Investment Expenses
  • Safe Deposit Box Fee
  • Business/TDY Travel Expenses
  • Business-related Expenses
  • Business-related Mileage (For military, this would include mileage incurred for PT)
  • 2nd job mileage
  • Casualty or Theft Losses
  • Home office expenses
  • Job seeking expenses
  • Gambling expenses/losses

This is just a partial list of various types of income, expenses, and deductions needed to prepare your tax return. There may be other items of interest that were not listed, if you are not sure if something needs to be reported, please bring it with you when you come to file your return.

Return to top

Is there a way I can check on the status of my Refund?

Once taxpayers file their federal return, they can track the status of their refunds by using the “Where’s My Refund?” tool, which taxpayers can get to using the IRS2Go phone app, from the front page of, or by clicking here. By providing their Taxpayer Identification Numbers, filing status, and the exact whole dollar amount of their anticipated refund, taxpayers can generally get information about their refund 72 hours after the IRS acknowledges receipt of their e-filed returns, or three to four weeks after mailing a paper return.

Return to top

What information would I need to file a Schedule F?

To file a Schedule F, you would need all financial records for your farm or livestock operation. In addition, you would need to bring in any information on any monetary incentives that you received.

Return to top

You can access FAQ’s from the following IRS website:

Comments are closed.